Hire a Coach - Tips
Coaches are hired by organizations or privately by individuals.
Finding a Coach as an Organization
Such coaches are often termed Corporate or Executive Coaches. They may be internal and work exclusively for the organization, or external, brought in as part of a company sponsored intervention. Corporate Coaches will work closely with the organization to ensure that coaching meets both the objectives of the coachee and the organization.
- With corporate coaching, the company pays for the coaching intervention and takes an active part in the development of the coaching program
- The coaching program is often part of a bigger development process within the organisation
- Corporate coaches can work one-to-one , with groups or a combination of both
- Coaching success criteria are often agreed by the coach, coachee and organization.
- The company has some input in to the agenda or focus of the coaching.
Finding a Coach as an Individual
Such coaches are often termed Life Coaches or Personal Coaches. Some Executive or Business Coaches also work privately with clients who want to deal with work-related issues separately from the workplace.
What to consider when choosing a Coach (Organizations AND Individuals)
Coaching is a partnership between client and coach. Personal chemistry is an important element of the coaching relationship. You will need to ask yourself: Am I really comfortable with this person? Do I feel I can trust him or her?
As well as feeling confident you can work with the coach, what else should you consider?
- Training and qualifications – what training has the coach received? Is the coach accredited by an independent body such as the ICF? Click here for information on ICF credentials
- Experience – does the coach have a proven track record of working in your environment? Do they have testimonials and references to back this up?
- How will they work with you? – what models or methods will they use? How flexible are they in adapting what they are offering to what you feel you need?
- Does the coach belong to a professional body such as the ICF?
Use one of the links on the left side to find a Coach.